Chez Terez Adornments

May 3, 2011

Cape-arium

Cape-arium


For the past few years I've been fascinated by the terrariums I've seen on Etsy and featured in the New York Times, but I haven't taken the time to try my hand at miniature enclosed gardening until inspiration struck this weekend.

I was staring at one of my glass globes from China Fair in Newton, and loving the way a collection of Cape beach rocks looked nestled in the curved base. I didn't want to use it as a traditional vase with flower stems and water mucking things up...and then I remembered I had a teeny tiny spider plant {also attained from friends on Cape Cod!} sprouting roots in a dish of water and a teeny tiny terracotta pot...and after some maneuvering and planting the plant with dirt pilfered from another potted plant via tea spoon...voila!

One important thing I have learned in just a few days--the terrarium stays really, really humid, and a little water goes a long way. 

XO Terez

No comments:

Post a Comment