Chez Terez Adornments

Oct 31, 2010

Re-upholstery


 Reupholstering!

After!
My home is filled with to-do projects. They are waiting on my shelves, waiting in my closet, waiting to be cut out of fabric, waiting to be baked, waiting to be downloaded, waiting for better weather, waiting for worse weather, waiting for more energy, waiting for more time, waiting for the house to be clean...waiting...waiting. You know what I mean. Today, I decided to tackle something I've never done and have done no research on: reupholstering. Here is the top of my Singer 301 sewing stool before:

Before
Ick! Crumbly vinyl, crumbly filling. It had to go.

Pull out old cushion
The guts of the old stool--so fragile it crumbled into dust at the slightest provacation!

Pull out old staples
 There were tons of old staples holding the vinyl in place. I had to pry, pry, pry away.

Cut batting to fit stool (many layers!)
I decided to use cotton quilt batting for new padding. Many, many layers. I just used my rotary cutter and kept trimming until I got the right size.
Measure from side under to other side including batting
I wasn't quite sure how to figure out how much fabric to use--and I think Anna Maria Horner's Drawing Room home dec fabrics may be retiring soon, so I didn't want to waste any. I wrapped a tape measure around the stool with the batting to figure out how much fabric to cut.
Anna Maria Horner's Drawing Room Fabric in Trellis

I wanted to center the rose on the stool so I divided the length and width by half to get the right placement of the flower.


Staple fabric side to side, corner to corner
Staple! Alternating sides, alternating corners. I tried mitering the corners--kind of how you make a bed when you fold in the flat sheet. It worked...sort of [first time, so I get a pass]!


Voila! New sewing stool!
Voila! New stool! I love, love, love the bright colors against my turquoise walls. Now if I could just find some time to work on my Secret Sewing Project!

XO TEREZ

1 comment: