Chez Terez Adornments

Dec 11, 2010

How Brewster the Rooster came to roost - here

Brewster the Rooster
Today laundry and other basic necessities drove me out into what was surprisingly balmy 45 degree sunshine (yesterday my walk to work was 14, RealFeel -1 degree!). I plodded along to my favorite laundr-o-mat, too tired to rush but wanting to get home as soon as possible. While things bubbled and whirled in the wash I crossed the street to Thrifty Threads at United Parish in Brookline to see what was new.

I didn't even need to try too hard to find my treasure; he was looking at me from the front door:
What a flirt!


I scooped him up--he was quite a bit heavier than I anticipated. "How much for the chicken?" I asked the ladies behind the counter. "Oh, it's a rooster, and he's not really for sale, hon." Sigh.

"Oh, okay. It's just that I collect chickens and I just sewed a hen and he would be perfect for her...."

"Well, in that case, you can take him for one dollar."

One dollar.

I could not believe my good fortune. A Christmas Miracle!

I tucked him under my arm and finished up my errands in Coolidge Corner. I was stopped by four passersby:
"Lady, that's an awesome chicken."
"Where did you get that chicken?"
"Great chicken!" and my favorite:
"What a radical chicken!"

All the excitement tuckered me out. I took a few photos of my new friend and went to roost in my own down nest. Later I did some research online and it looks like he is from a pattern in the 80s by McCall's. Ebay to the rescue! I lurve my original little guy but I can't wait to make a friend in the Folksy Flannels I've been sewing with.
Brewster the Rooster settling in

I'll keep you posted on how it turns out!

XO Terez

No comments:

Post a Comment