Chez Terez Adornments

Feb 14, 2011

HH: Renaissance Man

Valentine Heart tatted by HH

My father is a renaissance man. He gardens. He woodworks. He cooks. He can redo an apartment for less than $1,000. He hunts. He camps. He ballroom dances with my mother. And? He tats lace:

Baby Bonnet Crown for Pending Little Herbert Girl
He taught himself to tat almost 35 years ago. Every couple of years he'd pick up his shuttle and thread and crank out a pair of baby booties for a pending niece or nephew. I think he taught himself from a book and my great-grandmother on Mamacat's side worked with him a bit.

Valentine doily for TH by HH
When retirement came a calling, HH had more time to work on his tatting skills. He started tatting bookmarkers (as he calls them) for many of the friends he's made through the years. He's done all colors, and here is his latest, started on the plane ride here and finished this weekend:

HH's Bookmarker
The first two photos in this post--the Valentine Heart and the Baby Bonnet Crown--he completed during this trip. Ahem, he finished three of those Valentine Hearts and the baby bonnet is much farther along! It is amazing to watch my father work on this dying art.

Mini-Hearts Chained Lace
Three cheers to HH for spending Valentine's with me and three cheers to Mamacat for letting him come ;)

XOXO Terez

3 comments:

  1. I am always amazed every time I see what Dad is tatting. It definitely takes patience (that i'm not sure I possess). The hearts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's pretty special. AND it turns out he made FOUR of those Valentine hearts--he finished another for me this morning before his plane ride!

    ReplyDelete